City of Cedar Rapids, IA
Operates transit vehicles and provides mass transit services to the general public.
Works under general supervision from department management; exercises discretion in dealing with public, within prescribed and procedural guidelines.
Position Schedule: Monday-Saturday, 40 hours/week, Days/Hours will vary including Saturdays
- Operates transit vehicles on prescribed bus routes and schedules;
- Operates transit vehicles in a safe manner to avoid preventable accidents and incidents;
- Collects, counts and records fares and operates the farebox in accordance with department policy;
- Acknowledges complaints from the public;
- Prepares daily record sheets;
- Assists or accommodates passengers in accordance with ADA regulations and department policy, including proper operation of the wheelchair lift/ramp, proper securement of passengers with wheelchairs, calling out stops, etc.;
- Conducts pre-trip inspections and procedures such as wiping off seats, adjusting mirrors, and checking for bus defects or potential safety hazards according to department policy;
- Conducts post-trip inspections such as checking for lost and found items, closing windows, picking up trash, and fueling the bus according to department policy;
- Answers questions from the riding public about schedules, routes and fares;
- Reports accidents or incidents according to department policy;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of City geography, transit routes and of schedule policies and procedures established for the work system;
- Skill in operation of transit vehicles through on-the-job training;
- Skill in interpersonal relations with the general public and co-workers;
- Ability to operate the following equipment and tools: transit vehicles, fareboxes, wheelchair lifts/ramps, global positioning equipment, two-way radios, etc.;
- Ability to work under general supervision from department management: exercises discretion in dealing with public, within prescribed and procedural guidelines;
- Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, in order to generate required reports;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Experience in driving buses, trucks or large vehicles on a prescribed route basis, including public contact. Experience working with the general public preferred; and
- Training period determined by management.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Must obtain valid Iowa Commercial Driver’s License (Class B) with passenger and airbrake endorsements within training period and valid Medical Examiners Certificate.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.