Security Officer – Coe College – Cedar Rapids, IA
Coe College is seeking a responsible and dependable individual for the position of Security Officer. This position is responsible for maintaining the safety and security of Coe College’s campus, students, faculty, and staff while providing excellent service in stressful situations. Duties include patrolling campus, lock/unlock, granting after hour access to buildings, responding to medical, fire, and criminal concerns, E-Panic Emergency Alerts, policy enforcement, parking enforcement, wellness checks as well as evaluating calls for after-hours maintenance. Strong customer service skills including the ability to interact positively with the college community and visitors is desired.
This position is full-time, 12 months and is benefit eligible.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Respond to cases of health (mental, physical, emotional) concerns, fire alarms, and ensure safety of the student and those in surrounding areas, coordinating with Residence Life to relocate students when needed.
- Ensure campus safety and adherence to campus policies and local/state/federal laws.
- Performs periodic checks of emergency call boxes and nightly checks on street lights to ensure proper functioning; reports malfunctions as required.
- May provide safe and efficient transportation to employees and/or visitors, as requested, using an institutional vehicle.
- Patrols and monitors assigned parking areas to provide public security and assistance.
- Unlock doors in mornings and lock them in evenings. Manage list of individuals who are granted after-hours access to Coe facilities.
- Watch for and report irregularities, such as security breaches, facility and safety hazards, and emergency situations or criminal activity; contact emergency responders, such as police, fire, and/or ambulance personnel, as required.
- Respond to all fire alarms and if necessary, ensure the evacuation of the building and assist the fire department in providing access to the building. Assist Residence Life with relocating students, if needed.
- Complete campus rounds on foot, vehicle, and bicycle.
- Patrol parking areas to maintain proper usage and deter damage to motor vehicles.
- Respond to student and staff after hours maintenance calls.
- Provide on-campus escort services for visitors, students, staff, and faculty, as necessary; provide other public assistance, such as lockout services, jump-starts, and routine information.
- Conduct daily parking enforcement and ticketing.
- Create written documentation of incidents and routine activities.
- Use two way radios and cell phones for communication.
- Coordinate with external agencies; for example, local police and fire departments for emergencies, preventive and investigative actions.
- Serves as Campus Security Authority as outlined by the Clery Act.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- 1-2 years of security or customer service experienced preferred.
- CPR/AED/ First Responder trained for medical emergencies preferred, or ability to gain certification.
- Certified for use of O.C. (Oleoresin Capsicum) and use of Tear Gas Combination Spray preferred, or ability to gain certification.
- Valid Iowa driver’s license.
- Successful completion of a criminal and driver background check in accordance with Coe College policy.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to successfully conduct security patrols without direct supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Awareness of local, state, and federal laws.
- Ability to follow instruction with little supervision.
- Ability to maintain order in any situation while reacting quickly and calmly to determine the proper course of action.
- Ability to operate motor vehicle.
- Ability to prepare reports of incidents and accidents.
- Knowledge of crowd and traffic control techniques.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Give and follow oral instructions.
- Dedication to the educational mission of a private, residential liberal arts college.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships in a collaborative and diverse team atmosphere.
- Commitment to excellent customer and/or student service.
- Demonstrated ethical and responsible decision making.
- Consistent attendance and accountability necessary to meet position objectives.
- Interpersonal skill using tact, patience, and safety.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Scheduled hours will include weekends and holidays.
- The position can be physically demanding and may involve the following:
- The ability to perform extensive walking and climbing of stairs.
- The ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- May be required to perform moderate lifting, bending and climbing.
- May be exposed to environmental hazards including, chemicals, bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
- May be required to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
Coe is committed to fostering a multicultural environment and encourages applications from individuals who will help fulfill that goal. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and diverse perspectives and aim to create an academic community that is rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Coe College is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Security+Officer&c=Coe+College&l=Cedar+Rapids%2C+IA&jk=4f7d3e9eacc2e55d&rtk=1f4sebv4uo166800&from=rss→