City of Cedar Rapids, IA
Operates light and heavy equipment, power and hand tools, and provides technical assistance for City parks, recreation and golf in all facets of construction and construction maintenance.
Works under general supervision with considerable discretion in selection of work methods and scheduling.
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:00a.m.-3:30p.m.
- Operates light and heavy equipment in landscaping, grading, playing field, road and trail construction, tree removal, installation of underground pipe and utilities, demolition, and a variety of other projects related to parks, recreation and golf area development;
- Operates the following (but not limited to) equipment to complete the above tasks: front end loader, motor patrol (grader), scraper, track loader, rubber tired backhoe, skid loaders (tracked and tire) with various attachments, tractors of various sizes with various type of 3pt mounted and trailing equipment including mowers;
- Operates various types of trucks from single axle 1-ton trucks to tandem dump trucks with associated trailers for equipment and materials;
- Inspects and services all construction equipment and tools, performs all daily operational maintenance and fills out and submits reports for needed repairs in a timely manner;
- Performs concrete construction and maintenance work in relation to various types of flat work and footings;
- Performs masonry, carpentry, basic electrical and basic plumbing work in construction and maintenance of various indoor and outdoor buildings and facilities;
- Installs playground equipment;
- Drives truck to haul equipment, supplies and debris;
- Leads and organizes seasonal staff and additional park staff as needed to complete assigned projects;
- Performs various mowing, grass trimming tree trimming and chain saw work as required;
- Performs various types of welding and metal fabrication using ox-acetylene, stick and mig welding as well as plasma cutting and other various metal fabrication tools;
- Paints buildings and equipment;
- Performs maintenance activities at the Ellis Boat Harbor, including operating maintenance boat with a 25hp outboard motor, installing and repairing boat ramps, slips, docks, sheet piling, walks, roads, signs and navigational buoys;
- Wears and properly utilizes all safety equipment including personal protective;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of methods and techniques of construction and building and ground maintenance, particularly in operation of light to heavy construction equipment, power equipment, sign routing and general construction;
- Proficient knowledge and experience of concrete work and finishing tools;
- Proficient knowledge and ability to operate the following equipment and attachments: rubber tired front end loader with 4 way bucket and snowplow, track loader, rubber tired backhoe, skid loader (tracked and rubber tire), tractors of various sizes and various mowers, ATVs, UTVs, and playing field equipment;
- Proficient knowledge in the operation of the following skid loader attachments: basic toothed bucket, brush cutter, land plane, root/grapple bucket, jackhammer, mower, power rake, power broom, post hole auger;
- Proficient knowledge in the operation of the following tractor mounted equipment: mower, box scraper, York rake, gill/pulverizer, Du-Mor grader, sprayer, plow, disk, harrow, roto-tiller;
- Ability in the area of metal fabrication/welding, including the use of the following: stick welding, mig welding, ox-acetylene, plasma cutting and the use of various tools required in metal fabrication;
- Knowledge in the use of hand held power equipment including chainsaws, pruning equipment, chop saws, circular saws, demolition saws, drills, nailers and other various types of power equipment;
- Skill in the use of various hand tools required for the construction and maintenance of various facilities and equipment;
- Ability to look at a process and improve on it if needed for better job performance and greater service;
- Ability to read grades as needed on project. To be able to read plans and construction grades/staking to complete the project as designed by Landscape Architect;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from High School or GED; and
- Some experience in operation of heavy equipment, including skilled maintenance and repair work; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Ability to obtain valid Iowa Commercial Driver’s License (Class A) with air brake endorsements, within 6 months of employment.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Park+Construction+Operator&c=City+of+Cedar+Rapids&l=Cedar+Rapids%2C+IA&jk=e9224d018df3f74a&rtk=1dcs9poeo1saa000&from=rss→