This position is responsible for maintaining fleet of locomotives to ensure the company’s ability to serve the customer and provide reliable equipment for employees.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs scheduled and emergency maintenance on all company locomotives in a cost effective manner (including Gen-Set, SW and GP).
- Troubleshoots and fixes mechanical and electrical problems.
- Maintain proper records (preventative maintenance sheets, invoices, shipping documents, expense reports).
- Handle environmental issues in appropriate manner (e.g. proper disposal of filter oil, diesel fuel or other materials.
- Comply with company safety policies and procedures; must wear required personal protective equipment.
- Conducts periodic safety assessments on equipment according to a frequency determined by the Corporate Safety Department.
- Suggests and /or implements administrative or engineering controls to abate or minimize safety hazards. Implementation will require appropriate approvals.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two –year college or technical school preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have deep mechanical experience, electrical experience preferred.
- Must have valid Driver’s license.
- Must be able to operate cutting torch and electrical welder.
B. LANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
C. MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
D. REASONING ABILITY
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with the typical problems that occur in rail car switching.
E. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy weights. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
F. WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may be required to work nights, holidays, and weekends. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
G. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Must be willing and able to travel frequently (up to 80%) to company and/or customer locations to perform work on locomotives.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Locomotive+Mechanic&c=Railserve&l=Cedar+Rapids%2C+IA&jk=a6780ecf5491dd8d&rtk=1dhcg2qs2f18g800&from=rss→