United Fire Group
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we’ve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We’ve been named an Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes’ “America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
The Litigation Specialist is responsible for monitoring and directing the handling of claims in suit by staff persons, independent Claim Representatives and attorneys. Provide initial directions, coverage analysis, review of work product, and application of general technical expertise as required by the complexity of the claim and the experience of the Claim Representative, Supervisor, Manager, or attorney.
- Review reports and enclosures from Claims Representatives and attorneys as well as other mail directed to claim files.
- Analyze investigative material for liability exposure, coverage and damages to determine reserves and settlement values.
- Follow consistent reserve practices with a slightly pessimistic attitude to achieve the company guideline of overall reserve redundancy goals.
- Maintain contact with Regional Claim Manager, Home Office Claims personnel and Counsel as necessary.
- Provide direction, control and guidance in the investigation and conclusion of claims.
- Be constantly aware of the expense factor in claims handling; whether by company representative, independent or defense counsel, in order to achieve company standards.
- Receive, evaluate and assign to counsel suits commenced against insureds or the company. Provide guidance to counsel as the discovery is underway. Coordinate any additional investigation required.
- Deal directly with insureds, claimants or counsel in settling losses.
- Review and discuss settlement values, defense tactics and strategies with defense counsel.
- See that forms are filed (e.g. Index, PILR, Reinsurance, Reserve Notification and Risk Evaluation).
- Negotiate fees and billing agreements with attorneys. Review fee statements, negotiate adjustment of charges when appropriate.
- Communicate with agents as appropriate to keep advised of status, difficult claims situations and coverage questions.
- Keep apprised of changes in law and court procedures affecting claims in jurisdictions supervised.
- 4 year college degree preferred
- AIC and/or CPCU a plus
- 10+ years’ experience handling complex claims to include litigation management with supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Must possess working knowledge of applicable laws, policy coverage, analysis and damage evaluation skills (to include knowledge of contractual law, construction defect claims.
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Understand the fundamental basics of litigation and assist in the process. Must possess the knowledge and tact to deal effectively with attorneys.
- Have the capacity and ability to deal directly with people under adversary conditions.
- Possess tact and diplomacy required to relate with agency force on sometimes sensitive issues.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.