Environmental Health & Safety Intern – Summer 2021 – New Leader Manufacturing – Cedar Rapids, IA
New Leader Manufacturing
The EHS Intern will help meet the demands of both safety and environmental compliance for the Company. The EHS intern will assist with environmental data collection, consolidation, and report preparation.
- Lead two safety improvement projects aimed at closing the risk gap and/or cultivating a positive safety culture.
- Leads one safety audit per week
- Assists with safety incident investigations.
Productivity / Job Knowledge 20%
- Implement action items as they relate to improvements identified in weekly safety audits
- Completes root cause analysis and assists with implementation of identified solutions for incident investigations
- Assists in environmental data collection
- Assists with the preparation of safety and environmental reporting
- Demonstrates a good attendance record; is aware of the impact that missing work will have on the customer as well as co-workers.
- Completes goals/projects on time or ahead of schedule.
- Responds to work assignments and requests by being cooperative and available.
- Follows through and meets commitments.
- Available as a resource to subordinates and/or peers.
- Follows safety procedures, protocols, policies, and adheres to all SAFESTART concepts, and acts when others are not holding themselves accountable.
Act Like an Owner. 20%
- Leads by example and takes ownership in everything you do and or say.
- If you see something, say something and follow through until it’s right.
- Treats others with respect and kindness.
Be Interested. Stay Interested. 20%
- Isn’t complacent. Seizes opportunities to learn by participating in activities to increase understanding.
Create Change. Start With Yourself. 20%
- Asks “why”, is open-minded, and challenges the status quo.
- Leads and supports changes for the sake of improvement.
Seek New Perspectives. 20%
- Seeks new perspectives from all available sources to challenge your own, and brings them into your decision making process.
- Involves all stakeholders in making decisions. Is open to input from all sources.
Fail Fast. Learn Fast. 20%
- Considers long and short-term outcomes when making decisions.
- Is fearless.
- Readily admits mistakes.
Qualifications and Essential Skills:
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resources Management, Occupational Health and Safety, or related field.
- GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- Basic knowledge of Environmental (EPA) Laws and Regulations
- Basic knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) Laws and Regulations.
- Demonstration of the following skills: organization, critical thinking, and teamwork.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to sit and interface with computer systems while maintaining a high level of concentration. The employee is also regularly required to stand and walk while performing the duties of the job. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands/fingers to handle or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the office work environment is usually quiet. Employee may be exposed to shop environment while distributing documents to shop area. When on shop floor, employee will be required to wear safety glasses at all times, steel-toed footwear and ear protection when job demands presence in areas outside safety zones and gloves when handling material. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration, and occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the plant shop environment is moderately loud.
We consider applicants for all position without regard to race, sex, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.