Mercy Medical Center
Are you an experienced, dedicated cook is looking for great benefits such as tuition reimbursement (go to culinary school), paid leave, community discounts, medical, dental, retirement, etc. We care about our employees and offer family friendly schedules where you can have every other weekend off, and we also supply uniforms. Our cooks work four days per week (10 hour shifts).
To apply for this position you MUST do so on our website: www.mercycare.org/employment, and type in “Cook” in the search field.
This position supports Mercy’s philosophy of patient centered care by serving fresh, nutritious food in a caring manner to patients, family and staff. Responsible for the preparation of fresh and flavorful foods for patients, families, employees, volunteers and physicians in an attractive and sanitary manner. Properly cleans and sanitizes work area. Maintains a safe work environment and adheres to department as well as regulatory guidelines.
Job/Position Specific Duties
- Responsible for job duties of shift assigned for the day
- Ensures proper food temperatures, portion sizes, quality and appearance
- Knowledge of special diets and dietary guidelines for patient diet orders
- Knowledgeable of kitchen function workflows and equipment
- Uses proper portioning and prep pars to avoid outs and product waste
- Plans ahead to ensure production goals are on schedule. Communicates to Manager or Supervisor when production goals are not on schedule.
- Focuses on freshness, flavor, cleanliness, and consistency of food for patients, café, and catering
- Ability to follow standardized recipes to complete preparation of menu items in an efficient manner
- Provides quality customer service and professionalism at all times while at work
- Ensures completion of cleaning lists (daily, weekly, and monthly), temperature logs, and prep lists (each shift).
- Leads by example by using best practices (cleanliness, quality, attendance, efficiency, etc.)
- Maintains quality control programs (hand washing, cooling of food, glove usage etc.)
- Communicates lack of ingredients required for service in a timely manner
- Other duties as requested by Manager or Supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Capable of independent decision making. Knowledgeable in volume food preparation and presentation.
- Demonstrates competency in specific skills as identified in the position core competency and annual competency.
Professional Experience– Required vs. Preferred
- Some background in institutional cooking preferred.Education-Required vs. Preferred
- High School Diploma or Associates Degree in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Must Attend Mercy Medical Center nutrition course within six months
Licensure, Certification, Registration – Required vs. Preferred
- Servsafe certification preferred.
Physical Activity Requirements
A. Constant = 67-100% of workday
B. Frequent = 34-66% of workday
- Use of fingers
- Repetitive motion
C . Occasional = 33% or less of workday
Physical Demand Requirements
- Medium: Exert 20-50 lbs of force occasionally and/or 10-15 lbs of force frequently.
Job Type: Full-time
- cook: 2 years (Preferred)
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.