City of Cedar Rapids, IA
Provides technical services to a comprehensive engineering design and public works program for the City.
Works under general supervision with some technical supervision. Exercises discretion in selecting work methods and sequences.
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:00pm
- Inspects public works construction projects, subdivisions and work in the public right-of-way in progress and at completion to assure conformance with plans, specifications and regulations;
- Negotiates with contractors on proposed changes in methodology or plans, with approval of supervisor;
- Inspects quality and conformance to specifications of construction materials used;
- Maintains precise daily records of inspection findings and construction progress;
- Maintains accurate daily records of quantities used and computes monthly and final pay estimates;
- Attends pre-construction meetings for projects assigned;
- Communicates with general public about project and progress of work;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Firm knowledge of public works construction inspection methods and techniques;
- Firm knowledge of proper construction methods and materials;
- Acquired knowledge of City geography;
- Ability to operate the following equipment and tools: calculator, cell phone, engineering materials
- testing equipment, and inspection measuring equipment;
- Ability to react quickly when working around equipment in an uncontrolled environment;
- Ability to operate a personal computer or tablet using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from High School or GED supplemented with three years of experience in the construction trades or in a public works engineering function; and
- Experience in construction or inspection processes; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Valid Iowa Driver’s license.