Garnett Place Retirement Community
The Assistant Cook delivers Red Carpet Treatment to Residents, Visitors and Team Members by assisting in the operation of the kitchen, dining room, dish room, and related storage spaces. This position will also substitute for the Culinary Service Coordinator when that person is not on site and have the overall responsibility for operating the Culinary Service Department in a quality manner as specified in the Policies and Procedures Manual. Hours may vary from 6:00 AM – 2:30 PM or 10:00 AM – 6 PM or as scheduled by the Culinary Service Coordinator and every other weekend.
The following essential functions are normal for this position. This list is not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Prepare food and assist serving in the dining room.
- Wash dishes.
- Clean kitchen and dining room.
- Follow cleaning schedule.
- Use personal protective equipment, as required.
- Use proper body mechanics for lifting, pushing and pulling.
- Report unsafe conditions to the Culinary Service Coordinator.
- Maintain sanitation in all areas.
- Fill in, as needed or requested.
- Respond to smoke and fire alarm systems.
- Comply with regulations regarding hair covering and hand protection during food preparation.
- Answer telephone promptly and courteously.
- Respond promptly to the Emergency Call System and take appropriate action.
- Read the Communication Log daily.
- Share ideas and comments you feel would benefit the Community.
- Fill in when short staffed.
- Attend all bi-weekly staff in-services or mandatory meetings
- Attend culinary service meetings.
- Be a part of the safety team, and committees as assigned.
- Follow all Policies & Procedures and the Employee Handbook.
- Assist with scheduled activities, as requested.
- Uphold confidentiality of residents and co-workers.
- Complete incident report forms as necessary for residents, self, or co-workers.
- Complete work orders when maintenance needs arise.
- Perform cleaning duties, as assigned.
- Prepare dining room for meals.
Revised March 2018 Property of Senior Housing Management Page 2 of 3
In the absence of the Culinary Service Coordinator:
- Maintain freezer inventory and rotation.
- Be responsible for all food production and recipe usage.
- Supervise food requisitions and delivery.
- Enforce and comply with use of Personal Protective Equipment, for self and staff, when required.
- Enforce and comply with company dress policy to ensure food is safely prepared.
- Maintain food usage file and assistance in cost control, minimizing leftovers.
- Oversee vendors, appliance repair, and maintenance conditions.
- Oversee Culinary Service Aides or Resident Assistants while in the culinary service area.
- Comply with all state regulations as they apply to Assisted Living.
- Places orders in absence of Culinary Service Coordinator.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Good communication skills
- Commitment to the elderly
- Calm, friendly demeanor
- Basic supervisory and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Organizational skills
- Listening skills * Patience and flexibility * Willingness to accept supervision
- Preferred Culinary Arts degree
- Two year’s related experience related to culinary or hospitality services
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 1 year related job experience
- Knowledge of basic culinary service management
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the Team Member is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The Team Member is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear. The Team Member is occasionally required to sit. The Team Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to communicate effectively speaking the English language.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Programs.
Revised March 2018 Property of Senior Housing Management Page 3 of 3
- Ability to use the Internet and order processing system as delegated.
- Ability to use Apple I-PAD.
- Works primarily indoor in a climate controlled setting
- Possible exposure to wet or humid conditions, extreme cold or extreme heat (non-weather)
- Possible exposure to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock
- Possible exposure to chemicals as identified in the MSDS Manual
- Continuous exposure to clients and/or family members who may be under stress
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- One location
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Assistant+Cook&c=Garnett+Place+Retirement+Community&l=Cedar+Rapids%2C+IA&jk=1a5dad4810e431a4&rtk=1dev87693f37v800&from=rss→